Monday 2 July 2012

Engl-ench to Fren-ish



This past week I took an intensive French course in Montpellier to refresh my memory. Every morning I woke up around 7am, got ready, enjoyed breakfast outside next to the pool (coffee and a piece of a baguette topped with fig jam) and then hopped on the bus to the city.  It has been really amazing for me to see how my French has improved over this week. The first day I arrived I had a very difficult time getting my point across in French. All of the French I had learned in the past had vanished. Luckily my family understood English, so they consistently helped me translate what I was trying to say from English to French. HOWEVER, now all the words have come back to me!  It's an amazing feeling to be in a French class, on the street, and with my French family and be able to understand a majority of what is being said without translating every single word separately. For the first time ever,  I am experiencing what it's like for a language to just "click."   The difficult part now is conjugating all the verbs and making sure all the words I want to say are in the correct order. I have so much I want to say, but it comes out so slow! My goal is to have all the words pouring out of my mouth effortlessly by the time I leave. It's still the beginning, so I have time!    

1 comment: